4.11.2007

Continue with God's Name Used Extensively

A notable example of such faith in Jehovah was shown in 1823 when the Bible's message was introduced to the island of Rarotonga, in the Cook Islands. Missionary Sailor John Williams arrived there and sent two couples ashore to teach the Rarotongans. However, after a disagreement with an extremely drunk king, these missionaries were badly beaten. All their property was stolen, and they barely managed to escape with their lives.

Back on their ship, the missionaries described the Rarotongans as the fiercest savages they had ever met. Fearing the worst, Williams decided to abandon the island, at least for awhile. At that, a young teacher by the name of papeiha volunteered to attempt to evangelize the island alone. "Whether the savages spare me or kill me," He said, "I will land among them."

In words that have often been quoted in accounts of early missionary activity, Papeiha said: "Ko Jehova Toku tiaki! tei Roto au i tona rima! (Jehovah is my shepherd! I am in His hand!)" Then, clad only in light clothing and with a book containing passages of the Bible in Tahitian, he jumped overboard and swam ashore. He more than survived. Upon arriving at the island, he found that many there responded to the things he was teaching.

One Rarotongan who later became a missionary himself was More Ta'unga. In 1842 he became the first missionary to establish a base on the island of New Caledonia. Regarding a local man whom he had taken aside and taught to read and write, he wrote in his diary: " He learnt these things slowly. Not long afterwards he said to me, ' I want to pray.' But I advised him not to be in a hurry. Later he asked again, ' Won't you let me pray?' Then he asked me why I would not agree to his praying, so I said, ' You must relinquish your idols first, then you may pray to Jehovah. He alone can hear you.' So he brought me his basket of Gods, saying 'burn them. Now Jehovah will be my God.' He became skilled in prayer."

Next time: Pacific Islanders Accept Jehovah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.