7.03.2009

Preparing The Apostles For His Departure- Further Departing Admonition

Further Departing Admonition

The Apostles fail particularly with their ability to understand that Jesus will die and then appear to them after he is resurrected. So they ask one another: "What does this mean that he says to us, 'In a little while you will not behold me,' and, 'because I am going to the Father?" Jesus realizes that they want to question him, so he explains: "Most truly I say to you, You will weep and wail,but the world will rejoice; you will be grieved, but your grief will be turned into joy." later that day in the afternoon, when Jesus is killed, the worldly religious leaders rejoice, but the disciples grieve. Their grief is changed to joy, however, when Jesus is resurrected! And their joy continues when he empowers them to be his witnesses by pouring out upon them God's holy spirit!

Comparing the apostles's situation to that of a woman during her birth pangs, Jesus says: "A woman, when she is giving birth, has grief, because her hour has arrived." But Jesus observes that she no longer remembers her tribulation once her child is born, and he encourages his apostles, saying: "You also, therefore, are now, indeed, having grief; but I shall see you again [when I am resurrected] and your hearts will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you."

Up to this time, the apostles have never made requests in Jesus' name. But he now says: "If you ask the Father for anythings he will give it to you in my name. . . .For the Father himself has affection for you, because you have affection for me and have believed that I came as the Father's representative. I came out from the Father and have come into the world. Further, I am leaving the world and am going my way to the Father."

Jesus' words are a great encouragement to the apostles. "By this we believe that you came out from God," they say. "Do you believe at present?" Jesus asks. Look! the hour is coming, indeed, it has come, when you will be scattered each one to his own house and you will leave me alone." Unbelievable as it may seem, this occurs before the night is finished!

"I have said these things to you that by means of me you may have peace." Jesus concludes: "In the world you are having tribulation, but take courage! I have conquered the world." Jesus conquered the world by faithfully accomplishing God's will despite everything that Satan and his world tried to do to break Jesus' integrity.

Next time: Continue with Preparing The Apostles For His Departure- Concluding Prayer In The Upper Room

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.