3.24.2012

Giving Spiritually

Just as materially and emotional giving brings rewards to the one who gives, so it is with spiritual matters.  The apostle Paul wrote to the Christian congregation in Rome:  "I am  longing to see you, that I may impart some spiritual gift to you in order  for you to be made firm; or, rather, that there may be an interchange or encouragement among you, by each one through the other's faith, both yours and mine." -Romans 1:11, 12.

In the same way, when it comes to giving spiritually to elderly ones who serve God, encouragement is often mutual.  Osondu, who lives in Nigeria, relates:    "What interests me most about my grandparents is the opportunity  they give me to get a glimpse of the past.  My grandfather, with his eyes beaming, will tell about the territory he worked as a full-time minister in the '50's and  '60's.  He compares the present congregational structure with how it was when he became a Witness.  These experiences help me in my service as a pioneer." 

Others in the Christian congregation can also help in giving to older ones. Tunji, mentioned earlier, explained what happened in his congregation:  "A young pioneer brother who was assigned to give a public talk brought the outline to Papa so that they could compare it together.  The Watchtower Study conductor came  and said to Papa:  'You are experienced. What can you say to help me improve.'  Papa was able to give that elder some sound advice. The brothers mentioned Papa's name in congregation prayers several times. All of this made him feel wanted."

Next time: Fine Conduct Draws People to God

The Watchtower, 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.