9.30.2006

Long-Suffering Helps Us To Endure

Long-Suffering helps us to endure trying situations that seem endless or without any quick solution. This was true of Regis, mentioned at the outset. For years, his wife opposed his efforts to serve Jehovah. However, one day she came to him in tears and said: " I know it's the truth. Help me. I want a Bible study." She was eventually baptized as a Witness. Regis says: "This proved that Jehovah blessed those years of struggle, patience and endurance." His long-suffering was rewarded.

Back in the first century C.E., the apostle Paul was a fine example of long-suffering. (2Corinthians 6:3-10; 1 Timothy1:16) Toward the end of his life when he was giving counsel to his younger companion Timothy, Paul warned him that all Christians would face trials. Paul cited his own example and recommended basic Christian qualities that are necessary for endurance. He wrote: " You have closely followed my teaching, my course of life, my purpose, my faith, my long-suffering, my love, my endurance, my persecutions, my sufferings, the sort of things that happened to me in Antioch, in Iconium, in Lystra, the sort of persecutions I have borne; and yet out of them all the Lord delivered me. In fact, all those desiring to live with Godly devotion in association with Christ Jesus will also be persecuted." (2TImothy3:10-12; Acts 13:49-51; 14:19-22) In order to endure, we all need faith, love and long-suffering.

Next time: Clothed With Long-Suffering

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.