5.25.2009

Conclusion of Visiting The Temple Again

Jesus knows he has only a few days of life left, so he nicely illustrates his situation: "The hour has come for the Son of man to be glorified. Most truly I say to you, Unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains just one grain; but if it dies, it then bears much fruit."

One grain of wheat has little value. Yet, what if it is put into the soil and "dies," ending its life as a seed? It then germinates and in time grows into a stalk that produces many, many grains of wheat. Similarly, Jesus is just one perfect man. But if he dies faithful to God, he becomes the means of imparting everlasting life to faithful ones who have the same spirit of self-sacrifice that he has. Thus, Jesus says: "He that is fond of his soul destroys it, but he that hates his soul in this world will safeguard it for everlasting life."

Jesus obviously is not thinking only of himself, for he next explains: "If anyone would minister to me, let him follow me, and where I am there my minister will be also. If anyone would minister to me, the Father will honor him." What a marvelous reward for following Jesus and ministering to him! It is the reward of being honored by the Father to associate with Christ in the Kingdom.

Thinking about the great suffering and agonizing death that awaits him, Jesus continues: "Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? Father, save me out of this hour." If what awaits him could only be avoided! But, no, as he says: "This is why I have come to this hour." Jesus is in agreement with the entire arrangement of God, including his own sacrificial death. Matthew 12:12, 13, 18, 19: Mark 11:12-18; Luke 19:45-48; John 12:20-27.

Next time: God's Voice Heard A Third Time

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.