10.14.2009

They're Not Just Words

Another note that I forgot to mention yesterday. I may not be able to post everyday, as the library has outdated computers and tend to freeze easily and I do not exactly live next door to it. So please excuse me, if I am unable to post everyday, but I will do so as often as I can. Now for my new post.


Jesus said: "Your words show what is in your heart." (Luke 6:45,Contemporary English Version) Note that What we say doesn't simply reflect the type of person we would like to be-it reflects the type of person we already are. Even if you use bad language simply because others doit, copying their example reveals that you "follow after the crowd" and that you're not your own person. -Exodus 23:2.

But that's not all. Language expert James V. O'Connor says: "People who swear often tend to be disagreeable, critical, cynical, angry, arugumentative and unhappy complainers." For example, those who curse whenever something goes wrong reflect the belief that everything must always go right. It's as if they just can't handle mistakes. On the other hand, O'Connor notes, those who don't swear "are often calm, . . . mature people who [can] deal with daily annoyances." which type of person would you rather be?

Next time: Swearing Hurts Your Reputation

Awake, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.