10.13.2009

What Is So Bad About Swearing?

Well, I am back. I still do not have my own computer, but I did find a library that has computers that I can use. I appreciate all my followers and I hope that you will continue to read my blogs. I am sorry it took me so long to get here. Now for my blog.

Why is it often viewed as normal when adults swear, or use profanity, but when young people do it, it is considered shocking? Does a person's age determine whether its okay to curse? Since so many people use foul language-and there seems to be a double standard when it comes to age- you might as well ask, "What is so bad about swearing?"

Bad-language brainwash
There's no doubt that swearing is wide-spread. In fact, some youths would say that if they could have a dollar for every vulgar word they heard at school,they'd never have to work and their parents could retire. "In casual conversation," says 15-year old Eve, "my schoolmates seem to swear several times in each sentence. When you hear that kind of talk allday, it's hard to keep from joining the crowd.
Are you, like Eve surrounded by swearing? Have you picked up the habit yourself? If so, take a moment to examine just what motivates you to swear. Once you identify that, you'll be in a better position to eliminate the habit. With this in mind, try answering the following questions.

In most cases, why do you swear?
To express anger or frustration
To get attention
To fit in with peers
To appear tough
To challenge authority
Other

In what circumstance are you most inclined to swear?

At school
At work
In e-mails, instant messages or text messages
When by yourself

How do you excuse your swearing?

Peers do it
Parents do it
Teachers do it
Entertainment is saturated with it
Its no big deal-they're just wordsj
I only swear around people who aren't bothered by it
Other

Why conquer this habit at all? Is swearing really that bad? Consider the following.

Next time: They're not just words

Awake,2008


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.