9.30.2010

ACQUIRE A HEART AGREEABLE TO JEHOVAH

"Apply Your Hearts" To God's Word

When admonishing the sons of Israel gathered on the plains of Moab prior to entering the Promised Land, Moses said: "Apply your hearts to all the words that I am speaking in warning to you today, that you may command your sons to take care to do all the words of this law." (Deuteronomy 32:46) The Israelites were to "pay good heed." (Knox) Only by being thoroughly familiar with God's commands could they inculcate them in their offspring. -Deuteronomy 6:6-8.

A key requirement for acquiring a pure heart is that of gaining accurate knowledge of God's will and purposes. There is only one source of that knowledge, the inspired Word of God. ( 2 Timothy 3:16, 17) Head knowledge alone, though, is not going to help us to acquire a heart that pleases Jehovah. For knowledge to affect what we really are inside, we must 'apply our heart' to, or "take to heart," what we are learning. (Deuteronomy 32:46, An American Translation) How is this done? The psalmist David explains: "I have remembered days of long ago; I have meditated on all your activity; I willingly kept myself concerned with the work of your own hands." -Psalm 143:5.

We too should appreciatively meditate on Jehovah's activity. When reading the Bible or Bible-based publications, we need to ponder over such questions as: 'What does this teach me about Jehovah? What attributes of Jehovah do I see displayed here? What does this account teach me about what Jehovah likes and dislikes? what are the consequences of following a course that Jehovah loves as compared with following one that he hates? How does this information connect with what I already know?

Thirty-two year old Lisa explains how she came to appreciate the value of purposeful study and meditation: "After my baptism in 194, I was quite active in the truth for about two years. I attended all the Christian meetings, devoted from 30 to 40 hours per month to the field ministry,and associated with fellow Christians. Then I started to drift away. I sank so low that I even violated God's law. But I woke up and decided to clean up my life. How glad I am that Jehovah has recognized my repentance and accepted me back! I have often pondered: 'why did I fall away?' The answer that I kept coming back to is that I neglected purposeful study and meditation. Bible truth just had not reached my heart. From now on, personal study and meditation will always be a significant part of my life." As we grow in our knowledge of Jehovah, his Son, and his Word, how vital that we make time for meaningful reflection!

In this busy world, finding time for study and meditation is indeed a challenge. However, Christians today stand at the threshold of a wonderful Promised Land -God's righteous new world. (2 Peter 3:13) Startling events, such as the destruction of "Babylon the Great" and the attack by "Gog of the land of Magog" upon Jehovah's people, are in the offing. (Revelation 17:1, 2, 5, 15-17; Ezekiel 38:1-4, 14-16; 39:2) What lies ahead may put their our love for Jehovah to the test. It is urgent that we now buy out the opportune time and apply our heart to God's Word. -Ephesians 5:15, 16.

Next time: 'Prepare Your Heart To Consult God's Word'

Watchtower,2001

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.