9.11.2013

"She Has Fallen"



Note: To all my readers; I am having a Devil of a time getting to do my blog. I can sign it, but getting to my blog is  horse of a different color.  I get in only by some sheer source of luck.  I am just warning you people that if my blog is not published. I wasn't able to get in to do one.  Here goes and may my luck keep up.  God is on my side for sure in helping me get through here.  Sorry, this late.
I am not a techie, so I do not know how to fix this. I have a friend that does it for me as best he can.  But even he can only do so much.


Jehovah now speaks to the prophet. Isaiah reports:  "This is what Jehovah has
said to me:  'Go, past a lookout that he may tell just what he sees.' " (Isaiah 21:6) These words introduce another important theme of this chapter-that of the lookout, or watchman.  This is of interest to all true Christians today, for Jesus urged his followers to  "keep on the watch."  The faithful and discreet slave" has never stopped telling what it sees regarding the nearness of God's day of judgment and the dangers of this corrupt world.  (Matthew 24:42, 45-47)  What does Isaiah's visionary watchman see?  "He saw a war chariot with a span of steeds, a war of asses, a war  chariot of camels. And he paid strict attention, with much attentiveness."  (Isaiah 21:7)  These  singles war chariots likely represent columns of chariots advancing in battle formation with the speed of trained steeds.  The war chariot of asses and that of camel fittingly represent the two powers, Media and Persia, that will unite to launch this attack. Furthermore, history confirms that the Persian army used both asses and camel in warfare.

The watchman, then, is compelled to make a report.  "He proceeded to call out like a lion: 'Upon the watchtower, O Jehovah, I am standing constantly by day and at my guard post I am stationed  all the nights.  And here, now, there is coming a war chariot of men, with a span of steeds!' " (Isaiah 21:8, 9a) The visionary watchman calls out courageously, "like a lion."  It takes courage to call out a judgment  message against so formidable a nation as Babylon.  Something else is required as well-endurance.  The watchman remains at his post day and night, never letting his vigilance flag.  Similarly, the watchman class in these last days has needed courage and endurance.  (Revelation 14:12)  All true Christians need these qualities.

Isaiah's visionary watchman sees a war chariot advancing.  'What is the news?"   "He began to speak up and say:  "She has fallen!  Babylon has fallen, and all the graven images of her gods he has broken  to the earth!"  (Isaiah 21:9b)  What a thrilling report!  At last, this treacherous despoiler of God's people has fallen!"  In what sense, though,  are Babylon's graven images and idols broken?  Will  the Medo-Persian invaders march into Babylon's temples and smash the innumerable idols?  No, nothing of the sort is needed.  Babylon's idol gods will be broken  in that they are  exposed as powerless to protect the city.  And Babylon will experience  a fall when she becomes unable to continue oppressing God's people.

Next time:  Conclusion of "She Has Fallen"

From the Book Isaiah's Prophecy Light for all Mankind, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.