8.03.2009

Conclusion of Further Appearances

Jesus suddenly makes a fifth appearance. Even though the doors are locked because the disciples are in fear of the Jews, he enters, standing right in their midst, and says: "May you have peace." They are terrified, imagining that they are seeing a spirit. So, explaining that he is not an apparition, Jesus says: "Why are you troubled, and why is it doubts come up in your hearts? See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; feel me and see, because a spirit does not have flesh and bones just as you behold that I have." Still, they are reluctant to believe.

To help them grasp that he really is Jesus, he asks: "Do you have something there to eat?" After accepting a piece of broiled fish and eating it, he says: "These are my words which I spoke to you while I was yet with you [before my death], that all the things written in the law of Moses and in the Prophets and Psalms about me must be fulfilled." Continuing, in effect, amounts to a Bible Study with them, Jesus teaches: "In this way it is written that the Christ would suffer and rise from among the dead on the third day, and on the basis of his name repentance for forgiveness of sins would be preached in all the nations-starting out from Jerusalem, you are to be witnesses of these things."

For some reason Thomas is not present at this vital Sunday evening meeting. So during the days that follow, the others joyfully tell him: "We have seen the Lord!" "Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails," Thomas protests, "and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will certainly not believe.

Well, eight days later the disciples are again meeting indoors. This time Thomas is with them. Although the doors are locked, Jesus once more stands in their midst and says: "May you have peace." Then turning to Thomas, he invites: "Put your finger in here, and see my hands, and take your hand and stick it into my side, and stop unbelieving." "My Lord and my God!" Thomas exclaims. Because you have seen me have you believed?"" Jesus asks. "Happy are those who do not see and yet believe." Luke 24:11, 13-48: John 20:19-29.

Next time: At The Sea Of Galilee

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.