8.29.2011

An Exemplary Man Who Accepted Correction



Just Dealings With Fellow Humans

How did Job deal with his servants? That they found him to be just and approachable is indicated by Job's own words:  "If I used to refuse judgment of my slave or of my slave girl in their case at law with me, then what can I do when God rises up?  And when he calls for an accounting, what can I answer him?"  (Job 31:13, 14) Job valued Jehovah's mercy and thus dealt mercifully with his slaves.  What a fine example, especially for those who have positions of oversight within the congregation!  They too must be fair, impartial and approachable.

Job also showed interest in those outside his household. Revealing his concern for others, he said: "If I used to hold back the lowly ones from their delight, and the eyes of the widow I would cause to fail, . . .if I waved my hand to and fro against the fatherless boy, when I would see need of my assistance in the gate, let my own shoulder blade fall from its shoulder, and let my own arm be broken from its upper bone."  (Job 31:16-22) May we be as considerate of disadvantaged ones whom we know in our congregation.

Because of his unselfish interest in his fellowman, Job was hospitable to strangers.  Thus, he could say:  "Outside no alien resident would spend the night; my doors I kept open to the path."  (Job 31:32)  What a fine example this is for God's servants today!  When those newly interested  in Bible truth come to the Kingdom Hall, our receiving  them hospitably may contribute to their spiritual progress.  Of course, traveling overseers and other Christians need our loving hospitality too. -1 Peter 4:9; 3 John 5:8.

Job had the right attitude even toward his enemies.  He did not rejoice over calamity that might befall someone who hated him.  (Job 31:29, 30)  Instead, he was willing to do good to such people, as seems evident from his readiness to pray for his three false comforters. -Job 16:2; 42:8, 9; compare Matthew 5:43-48.

Next time: Sexually Chaste

Watchtower, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.