5.12.2018

HELP FOR THE FAMILY/YOUNG PEOPLE - Is Thrill-Seeking Worth the Risk?


THE CHALLENGE

"I stood close to a high-speed train that was racing by in a tunnel. The rush of adrenaline made my problems seem to fade." -Leon,

"Diving into water from dangerously high cliffs, I felt completely free for a few seconds.  Usually I enjoyed it, but sometimes I was scared."  Larissa.

Like Leon and Larissa, many young people get a thrill out of testing their limits-sometimes in very risky ways.  Are you tempted to join in?  If so, this articles can help you.

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

Thrill-seeking can become an addiction.  It might give you a short-term high but leave you craving greater excitement.  Marci, who like Leon went into train tunnels, says: "It was a vicious circle.  I was happy for a moment. But then I needed yet another thrill."

Justin, who went high-speed skating by grabbing hold of passing cars, says:  "The thrill I felt made me want to do it again.  I wanted people to admire me, but I ended up in the hospital."

Peer pressure can make you ignore commons sense.  A young man named Marvin says:  "My friends pressured me to free-climb a tall building, saying:  'God on. You can do.' I felt very insecure.  I was trembling as I pulled myself up the  wall."  Larissa mentioned earlier, says:  "I did what everybody else did.  I just went along with it." 

For example, some popular videos depict parkour-an activity that involves traversing obstacles (such as walls, houses, and stairs) by running, climbing or jumping rapidly and efficiently without any safety equipment.  This could lead you to two mistaken conclusions: (1) The risks are minimal. (2) Everyone is doing it. The result: You may be tempted to try out activities that involve life-threatening risks.

There are better and safer ways to test your limits.  "Physical training is beneficial for a little," says the Bible.  ( 1 Timothy 4:8) But the Scriptures caution you to "live with soundness of mind."  (Titus 2:12)  How can you do that?

Next time:  HELP FOR THE FAMILY/YOUNG PEOPLE -Is Thrill-Seeking Worth the Risk?

From the jw.org publications 
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.