6.01.2020

I Have Done What I Ought to Have Done - By Don Ridley - State Supreme Court Victories


In re E.G. (1989), the Illinois Supreme Court recognized that a mature minor has a common-law right of self-determination and has the capacity to refuse a blood transfusion.

Public Health Tr.of Dade County v. Wons (1989), the Florida Supreme Court upheld a competent adult has the right to refuse a blood transfusion. 

Fosmire v. Nicoleau (1990), the New York Court of Appeals (the states highest court) affirmed that competent adults have a right to determine the course of their own treatment, including the right to decline blood transfusions.

Stanford Hospital v. Vega (1966), the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled that a Witness mother's right to refuse a blood transfusion is deeply rooted in the common-law right of bodily  self-determination.  

MY MARRIAGE AND FAMILY LIFE

When I first met my wife Dawn, she was a single divorcee raising three children. She was earning a living and pioneering. She had experience a difficult life, and I was deeply impressed by her determination to serve Jehovah.  In 1992, we attended the "Light Bearers" District Convention in New York City, and I asked to court her.  We married a year later.  Having a spiritually -minded and fun-loving wife has been a gift from Jehovah.  Dawn has truly rewarded me with good all the days of our life together. - PROVERBS 31:12.

When we got married, the children were 11. 13, and 16 years old. I wanted to be a good father to them, so I carefully read and applied everything I could find in our publications about being a stepparent.  There were challenges over the years, but I rejoice  that the children have come to accept me as their trusted friend and loving dad. We had an open-door policy with out kids' friends and thoroughly enjoyed a houseful of energetic teenagers. 

In 3013, Dawn and I moved to Wisconsin to help care for aging parents.  To my surprise, my Bethel service did not end. I was invited to continue offering legal assistance to our organization as a temporary volunteer. 

Next time: I Have Done What I Ought to Have Done - A SUDDEN CHANGE

From the jw.org publications
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.