5.31.2020

I Have Done What I Ought to Have Done By Don RIdley - Conclusion of DEFENDING RIGHTS FOR BLOODLESS MEDICAL TREATMENT


After about an hour, Justice Mollen said that the case would be first on the docket the next morning. As we were leaving his chambers, Justice Mollen said that the hospital's attorney  had a heavy burden tomorrow." This meant that the attorney would be hard-pressed to defend his position.  I felt that  was reassuring me that our case was strong.  I was humbled to think  that Jehovah was using us to accomplish his will.

We worked into the night preparing our argument for the next morning. The courthouse is just a few blocks from Brooklyn Bethel, so most of those from our small Legal Office walked there.  After the four-justice panel heard our arguments, the canceled the transfusion.  The high court ruled in Sister Nicoleau's favor and established that the common practice of obtaining an order or a hearing without notice was a violation of fundamental constitutional rights.

New York's highest court ultimately affirmed Sister Nicoleau's right to be treated without blood. It was the first of four blood-related decisions by high state courts that I hgave had the  privilege to share in.  I have also joined other attorneys at Bethel in cases involving child custody, divorce, real estate, and zoning. 

Next time: I Have Done What I Ought to Have Done - By Don Ridley - State Supreme Court Victories

From the jw.org publications

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.