9.15.2021

John the Baptist Prepares the Way-Conclusion

 Because John is receiving much attention, has a powerful message, and is baptizing many, the priests and Levites are sent out to ask him: "Who are you?" 


"I am not the Christ," John confesses.


"What, then,  Are you Elijah?" they inquire. 


He answers: "I am not." 


"Are you the Prophet?" they ask, meaning the great Prophet who Moses said would come.- DEUTERONOMY 18:15, 18 .


"No! John replies. 


They became insistent: "Who are you? Tell us so that we may give an answer to those who sent us.  What do you say about yourself?"  John says:  "I am a voice of someone crying out in the wilderness,  "Make the way of Jehovah straight,' Just as Isaiah the prophet said." -  JOHN 1:19-23.


Why, then, do you baptize?" they want to know, "If you are not the Christ or Elijah or the Prophet?" He gives a meaning answer: "I baptize in water.  One is standing among you whom you do not know, the One coming behind me." - JOHN 1:25-27. 


Yes, John acknowledges that his is preparing the way by getting people in a proper heart condition to accept the foretold Messiah, the One who is to be King.  Of him, John says: "The One coming after me is stronger than I am, who sandals I am not worthy to take off.  I baptize with water, that One will baptize with holy spirit. (Matthew 3:11) In fact, John even says: "The One coming behind me has advanced in front of me, for he existed before me." - JOHN 1:15. 


Thus, John's message "Repent, for the Kingdom of the  heavens has drawn near" is indeed appropriate.  (Matthew 3:2) It serves as a  public notice that the ministry of Jehovah's coming King, Jesus Christ, is about to begin.


Next time: Archaeological Discovery Points to King David as a Historical Person


From the jw.org publications












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.