7.15.2019

Help Others Deal With Stress - SPEAK CONSOLINGLY


Naomi was a loving woman who loved Jehovah.  But after the death of her husband and two sons, she wanted to change her name from  Naomi to "Mara," meaning "Bitter."  (Ruth 1:3, 5, 20, 21)  Naomi's daughter-in-law Ruth stuck with her through her trials. Ruth not only provided practical help but also spoke consolingly to Naomi.  Ruth expressed her love and support for Naomi in simple, sincere words. - RUTH 1:16.  

When a member of our spiritual family loses a marriage mate in death, he or she needs our support. A married couple can be likened to two trees that have grown up next to each other. Over the years, the roots of the trees intertwine. When one tree is uprooted and dies, the other tree can seriously be affected. Similarly, when someone loses a spouse to the enemy death, he or she may feel strong emotions for a long time. Paul, whose husband died suddenly, says:  "My life turned upside down, and I felt powerless. I lost my best friend. I talked to my husband about everything. He shared my joys and supported me through difficult times. He provided a shoulder to cry on. I really felt as if I had been cut in half." 

How can we console  someone whose marriage mate has died?  An important first step is to speak to him or her, even though you may feel awkward or unsure of what to say. Paula, quoted earlier, says:  "I understand that death makes people uncomfortable. They worry what they say might come out wrong. But worse than hearing something awkward is  hearing nothing at all.:  A grieving person probably doe snot expect us to say something profound. Paul says: "I appreciated it when friends would simply says, 'I'm sorry for your loss.'"

William, whose wife died some years ago, relates:  "I appreciate it when others recount experiences about my wife; it reassures me that she was loved and respected. This form of support is a tremendous help to me. I feel a deep sense of satisfaction, because my wife was so precious to me and had been a big part of my life. " A widow named Bianca explains:  "I find comfort when others pray with me and share a scripture or two with me. It helps when they talk about my husband and when they listen to me talk about him." 

Next time: Help Others Deal With Stress - Conclusion of SPEAK CONSOLINGLY

From the jw.org publications





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.