10.11.2019

Continue with One With the Father, But Not God


Why do they not believe that Jesus is the Christ?  He says: "You do not believe, because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them everlasting life, and they will by no means ever be destroyed, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.  What my Father has given me is something greater than all other things." Jesus then tells them how close his relationship is  with his Father, saying:  "I and the Father are one." (John 10:26-30) Jesus is here on earthy and his Father is in heaven, so he cannot mean that he and his Father are literally one. Rather, they are one in purpose, being united.

Jesus words so anger the Jews they again pick up stones to kill him.  This does not frighten Jesus.  "I displayed to you many fine works from the Father," he says. "For which of those works  are you stoning me?"  They respond:  "We are stoning you, not for fine work, but for blasphemy; for you . . . make yourself a god." (John 10:31-33)  Jesus never claimed to be a god, so why this accusation?

Well, Jesus is saying that he had powers that the Jews believe  belong to God alone. For example,  regarding the "sheep" he said:  "I give them everlasting life,"   which is something humans cannot do.  (John 10:28)  The Jews are overlooking the fact that Jesus has openly admitted that he received authority from his Father. 

In refuting their false charge, Jesus asks:  "Is it not written in your Law[at Psalm 82:6],  'I said: "You are gods"?  If he called 'gods' those against whom the word of God came . . . do you say to me whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You blaspheme,' because I said, 'I am God's Son?' - JOHN 10:34-36.

Next time: Conclusion of One With the Father, But Not God

From the jw.org publications


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.