10.20.2019

Plan Ahead - Use Practical Wisdom


LUKE 16:1-13

* ILLUSTRATION OF THE UNRIGHTEOUS STEWARD

* "MAKE FRIEND" BY MEANS OF YOUR RICHES

The illustration of the lost son, which Jesus just related, should have impressed on listening tax collectors, scribes, and Pharisees that God is willing to forgive repentant sinners.(Luke 15:1-7, 11)  Now Jesus addresses his disciples.  He uses another illustration, this time about a rich man who learns that his house manager, or steward, has not acted properly.

Jesus relates that the steward has been accused of mishandling his master's goods. So the master says that the steward will be dismissed.  "What am I to do," the steward wonders, "seeing  that my master is taking the stewardship away from me?  I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg."  To deal with what lies ahead, he concludes:  "I know what I will do, so that when I am removed from the stewardship , people will welcome me into their homes."  He immediately calls those who are in debt, asking them:"How much do you owe my master?" - LUKE 16:3, 5.

The first one answers: "A hundred measures of olive oil."  That is some 580 gallons (2,200 L.) of oil.  The debtor might have had an extensive olive grove or been a merchant who sold oil. The steward tells him:  "Take back your written agreement and sit down and quickly write 50 (290 gallons) (1,100 L)." - LUKE 16:6.

The steward asks another one: "Now you, how much do you owe?" The reply is: "A hundred large measures of wheat."  That is some 20,000 dry quarts (625 bushels, 22,000 L). The steward tells this debtor:  "Take back your written agreement and write 80." He thus reduces the debt by 20 percent. - LUKE 16:7.

Next  time: Plan Ahead -Use Practical Wisdom

From the jw.org publications

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.