3.03.2009

Conclusion Of Further Teaching On The Seventh Day

In the face of their rejection, Jesus answers: "Why am I even speaking to you at all?" Yet he goes on to say: "He that sent me is true, and the very things I heard from him I am speaking in the world." Jesus continues: "When once you have lifted up the Son of man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing of my own initiative, but just as the Father taught me I speak these things., And he that sent me is with me; he did not abandon me to myself, because I always do the things pleasing to him." When Jesus says these things, many put faith in him. To these he says: "If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free'?"

"We are Abraham's offspring," his opposers chime in, "and never have we been slaves to anybody. How is it you say, "You will become free.'?" Although the Jews have often been under foreign domination, they do not acknowledge any oppressor as master. they refuse to be called slaves. But Jesus points out that they are indeed slaves. In what way? "Most truly I say to you," Jesus says, "every doer of sin is a slave of sin."

Refusing to admit their slavery to sin puts the Jews in a dangerous position. "The slave does not remain forever." Jesus explains. "The Son remains forever." Since a slave has no inheritance rights, he may be in danger of dismissal at any time. Only the son actually born or adopted into the household remains "forever," that is, as long as he lives.

"Therefore if the Son sets you free," Jesus continues, "you will be actually free." Thus, the truth that sets people free is the truth regarding the Son, Jesus Christ. It is only by means of the sacrifice of his perfect human life that anyone can be freed from death-dealing sin. John 8:12-36.

Next time: The Question Of Fatherhood

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.