3.05.2009

Conclusion of The Question Of Fatherhood

Angered by Jesus' condemnation, the Jews answer: "Do we not rightly say, You are a Samaritan and have a demon?" The term "Samaritan" is used as an expression of contempt and reproach, the Samaritans being a people hated by the Jews. Ignoring the contemptuous slur about being a Samaritan, Jesus responds: "I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me." Going on, Jesus makes the startling promise: "If anyone observes my word, he will never see death at all." Of course, Jesus does not mean that all those who follow him will literally never see death. Rather, he means that they will never see eternal destruction, or "second death," from which there is no resurrection.

However, the Jews take Jesus' word literally. Hence, they say: "Now we do know you have a demon. Abraham died, also the prophets; but you say, 'if anyone observes my word, he will never taste death at all.' You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died, are you? Also, the prophets died. Who do you claim to be?"

In this whole discussion, it is obvious that Jesus is pointing these men to the fact that he is the promised Messiah. But rather than directly answer their question as to his identity, Jesus says: "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father that glorifies me, he who you say is your God; and yet you have not known him. But I know him. And if I said I do not know him I should be like you, a liar."

Going on, Jesus refers again to faithful Abraham, saying: Abraham your father rejoiced greatly in the prospect of seeing my day, and he saw it and rejoiced." Yes, with eyes of faith, Abraham looked forward to the arrival of the promised Messiah. In disbelief, the Jews respond: "You are not yet fifty years old, and still you have seen Abraham?" Most truly I say to you," Jesus answers, "Before Abraham came into existence, I have been." Jesus is, of course, referring to his prehuman existence as a mighty spirit person in heaven.

Enraged by Jesus' claim to have existed before Abraham, the Jews pick up stones to hurl a him. But he hides and goes out of the temple unharmed. John 8:37-59; Revelation 3:14; 21:8.

Next time: Healing A Man Born Blind

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.