3.02.2009

Further Teaching On The Seventh Day

THE last day of the Festival of Tabernacles, the seventh day, is still in progress. Jesus is teaching in the portion of the temple termed "the treasury." This is apparently in the area called the Court of Women where there are chests in which people might deposit their contributions. Every night during the festival, there is a special illumination display in this area of the temple. Four giant lampstands are installed here, each with four large basins filled with oil. The light from these lamps, burning oil from the 16 basins, is strong enough to illuminate the surroundings to a great distance at night. What Jesus now says may remind his listeners of this display. "I am the light of the world," Jesus proclaims. "He that follows me will by no means walk in darkness, but will possess the light of life."

The Pharisees object: "You bear witness about yourself; your witness is not true." In answer Jesus replies: "Even if I do bear witness about myself, my witness is true, because I know where I came from and where I am going." He adds: "I am one that bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me." "Where is your Father?" The Pharisees want to know.

"You know neither me or my Father," Jesus answers. "If you did know me, you would know my Father also." Even though the Pharisees still want Jesus arrested, no one touches him. I am going away," Jesus again says. "Where I am going you cannot come." At this the Jews begin to wonder: "He will not kill himself, will he? Because he says, "Where I am going you cannot come.'"

You are from the realms below," Jesus explains. "I am from the realms above. You are from this world; I am not from this world." Then he adds: "If you do not believe that I am he, you will die in your sins.


Jesus , of course, is referring to his prehuman existence and his being the promised Messiah, or Christ. Nevertheless, they ask, no doubt with great contempt: "Who are you?"


Next time: Conclusion of Further Teaching On The Sabbath Day

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.