3.04.2009

The Question Of Fatherhood

DURING the festival, Jesus' discussion with the Jewish leaders grows more intense. "I know that you are Abraham's offspring," Jesus acknowledges, "but you are seeking to kill me, because my word makes no progress among you, therefore, do the things you have heard from your father."

Although not identifying their father, Jesus makes clear that their father is different from his. Unaware of whom Jesus has in mind, the Jewish leaders respond: "Our father is Abraham, who was God's friend.

However, Jesus shocks them with the reply: "If you re Abraham's children, do the works of Abraham." Indeed, a real son imitates his Father. "But now you are seeking to kill me," Jesus says, "a man that has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do this." So Jesus again says: "You do the works of your father." Still they do not comprehend whom Jesus is talking about. They maintain that they are legitimate sons of Abraham, saying: "We were not born from fornication." Hence, claiming to be true worshipers like Abraham, they assert: "We have no one Father, God."

But is God really their Father? "If God were your Father," Jesus responds, "you would love me, for from God I came forth and am here. Neither have I come of my own initiative at all, but that One that sent me forth. Why is it you do not know what I am speaking?"

Jesus has tried to show these religious leaders the consequences of their rejection of him. But now he pointedly says: "You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father." What kind of father is the Devil? Jesus identified him as a manslayer and also said: "He is a liar and the father of the lie." So Jesus concludes: "He that is from God listens to the sayings of God. This is why you do not listen because you are not from God."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.