6.27.2009

The Conclusion Of An Argument Erupts

"Little children," Jesus explains, "I am with you a little longer. You will look for me; and just as I said to the Jews, 'Where I go you cannot come,' I say also to you at present. I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves."

"Lord, where are you going?" Peter asks. "Where I am going you cannot follow me now," Jesus responds, "but you will follow afterwards." "Lord, why is it I cannot follow you at present?" Peter wants to kn ow. 'I will surrender my soul in your behalf." "Will you surrender you soul in my behalf? Jesus asks. "Truly I say to you, You today, yes, this night, before a cock crows twice, even you will disown me three times."

"Even if I should have to die with you," Peter protests, "I will by no means disown you." And while the other apostles join in saying the same thing, Peter boasts: "Although all the others are stumbled in connection with you , never will I be stumbled!"

Referring to the time when he sent the apostles out on a preaching tour of Galilee without purse and food pouch, Jesus asks: "You did not want for anything, did you?" "No! " They reply. But now let the one that has the purse take it up, likewise also a food pouch," he says, "and let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. For I tell you that this which is written must be accomplished in me, namely, 'And he was reckoned with the lawless ones.' For that which concerns me is having accomplishment."


Jesus is pointing to the time when he will be impaled with evildoers, or lawless ones. He is also indicating that his followers will thereafter face severe persecution. "Lord, look! here are two swords," they say.

It is enough," he answers. As we will see, having the swords with them will soon permit Jesus to teach another vital lesson. Matthew 26:31-35; Mark 14:27-31; Luke 22:24-38; John 13:31-38; Revelation 14:1-3.

Next time: Preparing The Apostles For His Departure

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.