6.28.2009

Preparing The Apostles For His Departure

THE memorial meal is over, but Jesus and his apostles are still in the upstairs room. Although Jesus will soon be gone, he has many things yet to say. "Do no let your hearts be troubled," he comforts them. "Exercise faith in God." But he adds: "Exercise faith also in me." "In the house of my Father there are many abodes," Jesus continues. "I am going my way to prepare a place for you . . .that where I am you also may be. And where I am going you know the way." The apostles do not comprehend that Jesus is talking about going away to heaven, so Thomas asks: "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How do we know the way?"

"I am the way and the truth and the life," Jesus answers. Yes, only by accepting him and imitating his life course can anyone enter the heavenly house of the Father because, as Jesus says: "No one comes to the Father except through me." "Lord, show us the Father," Philip requests, "and it is enough for us." Philip apparently wants Jesus to provide a visible manifestation of God, such as was granted in ancient times in vision to Moses, Elijah and Isaiah. But, really, the apostles have something much better than visions of that type, as Jesus observes: "Have I been with you men so long a time, and yet Philip, you have not come to know me? He that has seen me has sent the Father also."

Jesus perfectly reflects the personality of his Father that living with and observing him is, in effect, like actually seeing the Father. Yet, the Father is superior to the Son, as Jesus acknowledges: "The things I say to you men I do not speak of my own originality." Jesus properly gives all credit for his teachings to his heavenly Father.

How encouraging it must be for the apostles to hear Jesus now tell them: "He that exercises faith in me, that one also will do the works that I do; and he will do works greater than these!" Jesus does not mean that his followers will exercise greater miraculous powers than he did. No, but he means that they will carry on the ministry for a much longer time, over a much greater area, and to far more people.


Jesus will not abandon his disciples after his departure. "Whatever it is that you ask in my name," he promises, "I will do this." Further, he says: "I will request the Father and he will give you another helper to be with you forever, the spirit of the truth." Later, after he ascends to heaven, Jesus pours out on his disciples the holy spirit, this other helper.

Next time: Continue with Preparing The Apostles For His Departure

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.