6.23.2009

Conclusion Of Humility At The Last Passover

Sometime during the course of the meal, Jesus gets up, lays aside his outer garments, takes a towel and fills a basin with water. Ordinarily, a host would see to it that a guest's feet were washed. But since on this occasion no host is present, Jesus cares for this personal service. Any one of his apostles could have seized the opportunity to do it; yet, apparently because some rivalry still exists among them, no one does. Now they are embarrassed as Jesus begins to wash their feet. When Jesus comes to him, Peter protests: "You will certainly never wash my feet." "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me," says Jesus. "Lord," Peter responds, "not my feet only, but also my hands and my head." "He that has bathed," Jesus answers, "does not need to have more than his feet washed, but is wholly clean. And you men are clean, but not all." He says this because he knows that Judas Iscariot is planning to betray him.

When Jesus has washed the feet of all 12, including the feet of his betrayer, Judas puts his outer garments on and reclines at the table again. Then he asks: "Do you know what I have done to you? You address me, 'Teacher,' and 'Lord,' And you speak rightly, for I am such. Therefore, if I, although Lord and Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash the feet of one another. For I set the pattern for you, that, just as I did to you, you should do also. Most truly I say to you, a slave is not greater than the one that sent him. If you know these things, happy you are if you do them."

What a beautiful lesson in humble service! The apostles should not be seeking the first place, thinking that they are so important that others should always serve them. They need to follow the pattern set by Jesus. this is not one of the ritual foot washing. No, but it is one of willingness to serve without partiality, no matter what the menial or unpleasant the task may be. Matthew 26:20, 21; Mark 14:17, 18; Luke 22:14-18; 7:44; John 13:1-17.

Next time: The Memorial Supper

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.