7.23.2010

FORTIFIED To Say No To Wrongdoing

"WHEN I was still in my teens and working at a grocery store," explains Timothy, "a workmate invited me over to his house. He said that his parents would be away, girls would be there, and there would be opportunity to engage in sex." Many young people today would be quick to say yes to such an invitation. But what was Timothy's response? "I told him there and then that I would not be coming and that because of my Christian conscience, I did not wish to have sex with someone to whom I was not married."

While explaining his refusal, Timothy was unaware that a young female employee was listening in. His innocence challenged her, and soon he was faced with having to say no to her as well-on a number of occasions, as we shall see later. Having temptation thrown before us is, of course, not unique to our times. Some 3,000 years ago, King Solomon wrote: "My son, if sinners try to seduce you, do not consent. . . .Hold back your foot from their roadway." (Proverbs 1:10, 15) Jehovah himself commanded the nation of Israel: "You must not follow after the crowd for evil ends." (Exodus 23:3) Yes, at times we must say no, resisting the temptation to do wrong, even though it may not be the popular course.

Next time: Saying No Is Especially Important Today

Watchtower, 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.