11.16.2010

STUDY - REWARDING AND ENJOYABLE

Study as an Act of Worship

The psalmist states that he showed concern for Jehovah's laws, commandments, and reminders. He sings: "With your order I will concern myself, and I will look to your paths. . . I shall raise my palms to your commandments that I have loved, and I will concern myself with your regulation. How I do love your law! All day long it is my concern. More insight than all my teachers I have come to have, because your reminders are a concern to me." (Psalm 119:15, 48, 97, 99) What is implied by 'concerning oneself ' with Jehovah's Word?

The Hebrew verb translated "concern [oneself]" also means "meditate, muse," "go over a matter in one's mind." "It is used of silent reflection on God's works . . . and God's word." (Theological Wordbook of Old Testament) The noun form "concern" refers to "the psalmist meditation," "his loving study" of God's law, as "an act of worship." Considering the study of God's Word as a part of our worship adds seriousness to it. It should therefore be done conscientiously and with the benefit of prayer. Study is a part of our worship and is done to improve our worship.

Next time: Digging Deeper Into God's Word

Watchtower, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.