11.04.2010

Where Can You Turn for Good Advice?


The Bible Meets Our Needs . . .

In Coping With Anxieties, the Bible tells us: "Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6, 7) Has prayer proved to be effective in coping with the emotional anxieties associated with economic hardship, sexual and verbal abuse, or the death of a loved one? Consider the following experience.

Jackie, after learning of the sexual abuse of her daughter, acknowledges; "The feeling of guilt at being powerless to protect one's child is beyond words. I have had to fight feeling of bitterness, resentment and anger. These feelings were beginning to poison my life. I desperately needed Jehovah to guard my heart." After reading and rereading Philippians 4:6, 7), she worked hard to apply its counsel. "I pray everyday, repeatedly asking that I not let myself be destroyed by negative feelings, and Jehovah has helped me to develop a calm and happy heart. I truly feel peace within myself," Jackie relates.

You too may find yourself in a situation that is beyond your ability to control or resolve and that brings with it emotional anxieties. By following the Bible's admonition to pray, you can cope effectively. the psalmist encourages us with these words: "Roll upon Jehovah your way, and rely upon him, and he himself will act." -Psalm 37:5.


For Encouragement. The psalmist made this expression of appreciation: "Jehovah, I have loved the dwelling of your house and the place of the residing of your glory. My own foot I certainly stand on a level place; among the congregated throngs I shall bless Jehovah." (Psalm 26:8, 12) We are encouraged in the Bible to assemble together regularly to worship Jehovah. How can this association fill your needs? What have others found?

Becky relates: "My parents do not serve Jehovah,so they give me a hard time when I try to do anything that has to do with service to God. It takes great effort for me to attend the meetings." Becky feels that many blessings have come to her because she has exerted herself to attend Christian meetings regularly. "The meetings strengthen my faith, so that I can withstand the day-to-day pressures as a student, daughter and servant of Jehovah. The people at the Kingdom Hall are so different from the students at school! They are caring and helpful, and our conversations are always encouraging. They are real friends."

Next time: Continue with The Bible Meets Our Needs . . .

Watchtower, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.