4.09.2016

Are You a Slave to Fashion? -A Balanced View of Fashion


Conclusion of Ageless Beauty

Admittedly, however, it is appropriate to give the attention to our clothing.  Aline, from France, admits that it as a challenge to maintain balance in this regard.  "As a teenager," she says,  "I took a real interest in clothes. I wanted to follow the latest fashion because it gave me self-confidence.  And if  I could buy clothes with a designer label, so much the better.

But when I grew up," Aline continues, "I had to learn to take care of myself financially, and I also began to spend much of my time in the Christian ministry.  I realized that if I wanted to live within my means, I could no longer be a slave to fashion.  I began to buy my clothes during the sales or at outlet stores. I found that I could still dress well-but at a quarter of the price.  The secret lies in learning to buy clothes that suit you, that are practical, that combine well with what you already have, and that won't quickly go out of fashion. Rather than allow fashion to dictate what I should buy, I now try to decide which style suits me. I wouldn't say clothes don't matter to me anymore.  But my worth depends on much  more than my appearance. 

In a society where image often counts for more than substance, Christians do well to keep in mind the Bible's sober reminder:  "Everything the world affords, all that panders to the appetites or entices the eyes, all the glamour of its life, springs not from the Father.  And that world is passing away with all its allurements, but he who does the will of God will stand forever more." -1 John 2:16, 17, The New English Bible.  

Next time: A Book Against Books-BY AWAKE! WRITER IN ITALY

From the Awake! magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.