4.26.2016

YOUNG PEOPLE ASK . . .Why Should I Get to Know My Grandparents?


Conclusion of A  Source of Wisdom and Advice

Alexandria had a similar experience when her family moved and she had to change schools.   "My new teacher was hard and occasionally lost her temper," Alexandria said.  Adjusting to her new school was therefore difficult for Alexandria. However, her grandmother proved to be an ally.  She helped Alexandria to adjust by encouraging  a more positive outlook toward the situation.  "Now I like school and my teacher," says Alexandria.

A young man in Brazil, name Rafael reflects on the help that his grandparents gave him when he received some supplementary education after high school:  "They gave me much counsel about association and how to resist problems with drugs." Rafael now serves as a  full-time evangelizer. 

In her book Grandparenting in a Changing World, Edna LeShan relates her own experience as a grandparent.  She writes:  "My granddaugther called me one day and said,  'Grandma, I need help with peer pressure.' Some of her classmates were trying to get her to date boys, some of whom were calling her on the phone." As a result of her granddaughter's request for help, the grandmother was able to offer advice that provided needed assistance.  You may similarly find that a brief conversation with a loving grandparent can be a source of real moral support.

Grandparents are often particularly helpful during times of family crisis, such as illness or death. After young Lacy lost her father  to a serious illness, her grandmother helped her cope.  "We have bonded even more than before," says Lacy. 

Next time: YOUNG PEOPLE ASK . . .Why Should I Get to Know My Grandparents?/A Special Bond of Love

From the Awake! magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.