4.18.2011

Be Alert to the Importance of Commendation

Courteous and Respectful Counsel

Elihu, apparently a distant relative of Abraham, was instrumental in helping Job to get a balanced view of his relationship with God.  Elihu was courteous and respectful.  He patiently waited for his turn to speak.  And whereas Job's professed friends only found fault, Elihu, besides offering counsel, was quick to commend Job for his upright course.  He did so with warmth and with an obvious feeling of personal interest as a friend, using Job's name, unlike the others.  He politely requested:  "O Job, please hear my words, and to all my speaking do give ear."  Respectfully  putting himself in Job's place, he acknowledged:  "Look!  I am to the true God just what you are; from the clay I was shaped, I too."  And then in commendation, he said:  "If there are any words to say, make reply to me; speak, for I have taken delight in your righteousness." -Job 33:1, 6, 32.

Treating others courteously and respectfully is, in a sense, a way of commending them.   In effect, we are telling our listener, 'I consider you worthy of my attention and worthy of being treated well.'  Thus we convey a feeling of warmth and show our  personal interest in him.

Being polite and courteous means more than just following the rules of good manners is a formal way.  To reach the heart of others, our courtesy and politeness must be sincere and from the heart.  They must be an expression of genuine interest and love. 

Next time: Tactfully Giving Commendation

Watchtower, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.