9.16.2011

There Are Living Gems in Namibia

Polishing the Gemstones

Some of Namibia's literal gems have been polished by the movement of waves and sand over millenniums of time.  But, of course, such natural processes do not produce living gemstones.  It takes effort for imperfect humans to "put away the old personality" and clothe themselves with a new Christian personality.  (Ephesians 4:20-24)  For example,  the veneration of dead ancestors is a strong tradition among many tribes of Namibia.  Those who do not perform acts of ancestor worship are often persecuted by family members and neighbors.  When individuals learn from the Bible that the dead  "are conscious of nothing at all,"  they face a test.  ( Ecclesiastes 9:5) In what way?

A Herero Witness explains:  "It was a great challenge to be obedient to the truth.  I accepted a Bible study with Jehovah's Witnesses, but it took time for me to apply the things I was learning.  First, I had to test whether  it would be safe for me not to practice traditional beliefs.  For example, I would drive past certain places in Namibia without stopping to put a stone on a grave or raising my hat in a greeting to the dead.  Gradually, I became convinced that nothing would happen to me for not worshiping dead ancestors.  How happy I am that Jehovah has blessed my efforts to help my family and other interested ones to learn the truth."

Next time: The Need for Spiritual Miners

Watchtower, 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.