9.19.2017

A World Without Prejudice - When? - THE BIBLE HELPED THEM OVERCOME PREJUDICE


Linda:  I was born in South Africa. I viewed any South Africans who were not white as inferior, uneducated and untrustworthy and only as servants for the white people. I was trapped  in a mind-set of prejudice and did not even realize it. That attitude began to change, however, once I started to study the Bible.  I learned that "God is not partial" and that the heart is more important than the color of our skin or the language we speak. (Acts 10:34, 35; Proverbs 17:3) The scripture at Philippians 2:3 helped me to see that if I considered everyone as superior to me,  I would be able to overcome prejudice. Living by Bible principles such as these has helped me to take an interest in others no matter what color skin they have. Now I feel liberated from the cage of prejudice. 

Michael:  I grew up in an area where there were most white Australians, and I developed  a very strong prejudice toward Asians, particularly Chinese. When I was driving in a car and I saw someone who looked Asian, I would roll down the window and yell abusive things, such as "Go home, Asian!"  Later, when  I began to study the Bible, I came to see how God  vies people. He loves them no matter where they are or what they look like.  This love touched me, and my hatred turned into love.  To experience  such a dramatic change is amazing. Now I find great pleasure in associating with people from all backgrounds. This has broadened my  outlook on life and brought me much joy.

Sandra:  My mother was from Umunede in Delta State, Nigeria.  My father's family , however is from Edo State and speaks the Esan language. Because of these differences, my mother was the victim of intense prejudice from my father's family  until the day she died. So I vowed  that I would have nothing to do with anyone who spoke the Esan language and that I would never marry anyone from Edo State. But when I started  to study the Bible, I began to see things  from a different perspective.  Since the Bible  says that God is no partial and that anyone who fears him is acceptable to him, who am I to hate people because of their tribe or language?  I adjusted my thinking and made peace with my father's family.  Applying Bible principles  has made me happy and has given me peace of mind.   It has also helped me to get along with others regardless of their background, race, language or nationality. And the man I married?  He is from Edo State and speaks the Esan language! 

Next time: A World Without Prejudice - When? - GOD'S KINGDOM WILL END ALL PREJUDICE

From the jw.org publications  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.