7.06.2011

How Do YOU MEASURE SUCCESS?

When Culture and Conscience Clash

Robert was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.  In his teenage years, his conduct and choice of associates left much to be desired.  His mother began to worry about him.  Therefore, she asked a pioneer, a full-time minister of Jehovah's Witnesses, to encourage  him.  Robert explains what happened next.

"I really appreciated the interest that the pioneer  brother showed in me.  His good example made me want to take up pioneering as a career as soon as I finished school.  That is when Mum got worried again-but for a different reason.  You see, in our culture  it is all right for a girl to pioneer straight from  school, but a boy is expected  to become financially secure first, and then he can think about pioneering.

"I got a trade and started my own business.  Soon I was deeply involved in the business  and was just going through the routine of attending meetings and preaching.  My conscience bothered me-I knew I could serve Jehovah more fully.  Nonetheless, it was a real struggle to break free from what others expected of me, but I am happy I did.  I am married now, and my wife and  I have been pioneers for  the past two years.  Recently, I was appointed as a ministerial servant in the congregation. I can honestly say that I  now feel real contentment serving Jehovah with all my heart, to my full potential."

This magazine has repeatedly encouraged young ones to learn a trade or develop some useful qualifications--while still in school if possible.  To what end?  To become wealthy?  No.  The primary reason is so that they will be able to support themselves properly as adults and serve Jehovah as fully as  they can, especially in the full-time ministry.   It has often happened, though that young men and women get so caught up in pursuing a secular career that the ministry diminished  in importance.  Some do not give any thought to taking  up the full-time service.  Why not?

Robert's comments shed some light on the subject.  Once he had learned his trade, Robert started a business.  Soon, he was on figurative treadmill that was leading him nowhere.  His goal was to become financially secure.  But does anyone inside or outside the Christian congregation ever fully attain that goal?  Christians should strive to be financially responsible, diligently looking after their financial obligations; but they should also realize  that in these uncertain times, few ever reach a point where they can really consider themselves financially secure.  That is why Jesus' promise recorded at Matthew 6:33 is so comforting to Christians.

Robert is happy that he decided to follow the desires of his heart rather than the dictates of his  culture.  Today, he is enjoying a career in full-time service.  Yes, the full-time  ministry is an honorable career.  Robert is at peace with himself because he is serving Jehovah, as he says, 'to his full potential.'

Next time: Make the Most of Your Talents

Watchtower, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.