11.03.2013

A Challenge to the Gods




Under the Mosaic Law, a repurchase-normally a male next of kin-could buy a person out of bondage. (Leviticus 25:47-54; Ruth 2:20) Jehovah now identifies himself as Israel's Repurchaser-the one who will redeem the nation, to the embarrassment of Babylon and all the gods.  (Jeremiah 50:34)  He confronts the false gods and their worshipers saying:  "This is what Jehovah has said, the King of Israel and the Repurchaser of him, Jehovah of armies, 'I am the first and I am the last, and besides me there  is no God. And who is there like me?  Let him call out, that he may tell it and present it to me.  From when I appointed the people of long ago, both the things coming and the things that will enter in let them tell on their part.  Do not be in dread, you people, and do not become stupefied.  Have I not from that time on caused you individually to hear and told it out?  And you are my witnesses.  Does there exist a God  besides me? No, there is no Rock. I have recognized none.' "-Isaiah 44:6-8.

Jehovah challenges the gods to present their case. Can they call the things that are not as if they are, predicting future events with such accuracy that it appears  as if they are already happening?  Only 'the first and the last,'  who  existed before all the false gods were thought of and will still be there when they are long forgotten, can do such a thing.  His people need not fear to bear witness to this truth, since they have the support of Jehovah, who is as firm and stable as a massive rock! -Deuteronomy 32:4; 2 Samuel 22:31, 32.

Next time: The Vanity of Image Worship

From the Book Isaiah's Prophecy Light for all Mankind, Volume II, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.