6.06.2014

Consolation for Those Crying for Help


Even now, those who are despondent can draw comfort from the Scriptures. (Romans 15:4) The psalmist David sand:  "A heart broken and crushed, O God, you will not despise." (Psalm 51:17) True, we inescapably meet with some trials and feel the effects of imperfection.  But taking in accurate knowledge  of our kind, loving, and reasonable heavenly Father will give us reassurance that we are precious in his eyes.  God can become our foremost Friend and Instructor. If we cultivate an intimate relationship with Jehovah God, he will never disappoint us. "I, Jehovah, am your God," says our creator,"the One teaching you to benefit yourself, the One causing you to tread in the way in which you should walk." -Isaiah 48:17.  

Reliance on God has helped many people. To illustrate: Mara had already been weakened by prolonged depression when she lost her only son in a traffic accident." She panicked and tried to take her own life. Now,  however, she wakes up early every day to care for her housework. She enjoys listening to music and helping others. The hope that "there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous" has taken some of the sting  out of the tragic death of her dear son and has strengthened her faith in God. (Acts 24:15) Since Mara never had the desire to become like an angel in heaven, the words of Psalm 37:11 have touched her heart:  "The meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." 

Another Brazilian woman, Sandra, worked very hard at being the perfect mother to her three children. She admits: "I was so busy that when my father suddenly died and I, at the same time, discovered that my husband was having an affair with another woman, I did not even think about praying to God for help."  In despair Sandra attempted  to kill herself.  What has helped her to recover?  Her appreciation for spiritual things.  "Every night before I go to sleep, I read the Bible, and I try to identify  with the people I read about. I also read the Watchtower and Awake!  magazines, and I am especially fond of the life stories because  they help me to be content with my lot in life." Knowing that Jehovah is her best friend, she has learned to be specific in her prayers. 

Next time: A Future Without Despair

From the Watchtower magazine, 2000  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.