7.18.2014

Is It Praise or Flattery?


SOMEONE says to you, "Your new hairstyle looks great!"  Is it praise or flattery?  "That suit is just perfect for you!"  Praise or flattery?  "This is the most delicious meal I have ever tasted!" Is it praise or flattery?  When we receive such  compliments, we may wonder whether  they are really sincere and truthful or whether they are simply meant to please us without necessarily  being believed by the speaker.   

How can we know whether what a person  says to us is praise or flattery?  Does it matter?   Can we not just accept at face value what is said and bask in the pleasure it gives us?  What about when  we give give praise to others?  Have we ever examined our motives? Thinking about these questions can help us to be discerning and to use our tongue in a manner that brings praise to Jehovah God. 

Note: I never compliment someone unless I mean it. I am truthful that way.  I don't give out too many compliments. People tend to get swelled heads.  When I get a compliment from a stranger, I don't always believe them, because due to our imperfection and sinful habits, most people just do it to be nice, not being honest. When it comes from my family or friends. I believe them because they are usually like me, truthful and they don't give compliments freely either.   I like truthfulness, which is something not everyone can handle.  People get too easily offended over the stupidest most innocent thing or remark.    If I don't like what they say. I will get over it, I don't care, because it is what Jehovah God thinks about me that truly matters and when I praise someone, most times it will be God that I praise. I don't do praises that freely either except for God.    

Next time: Praise and Flattery Defined

From the Watchtower magazine, 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.