5.18.2015

THE BIBLE CHANGES LIVES



HOW THE BIBLE CHANGED MY LIFE:  I first came in contact with the Bible when I was just 17. I was living with my girlfriend when she began to study the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses.  However, I objected to the Bible's  moral restrictions, so I left her and went to live with another woman, whom I was dating.  

The turning point came when my second girlfriend too started to study the Bible with the Witnesses!  She made changes in her life, and I was impressed that she was becoming milder and more patient. I accepted an invitation to a meeting at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. I was welcomed by people who were  decent and kind. What a contrast to the world I knew!  I had never felt wanted by my family; I felt deprived of affection and tenderness throughout my childhood.  The warmth I experienced among Jehovah's Witnesses was exactly what I craved.  When the Witnesses offered to study the Bible with me, i gladly accepted.  

What I was learning from the Bible probably saved my life. I had been planning a robbery with two partners in order to get free of my gambling debts, which amounted to more than $50,000. But how glad I am that I backed out! My former partners went ahead  with the robbery. One of them was arrested, and the other was killed.  

As I continued to study the Bible, I came to see just how many changes I needed to make. For example, I learned that the Bible says at 1 Corinthians  6:10:  "Thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God's Kingdom. "  When I read that verse, the gravity of my situation brought me to tears.  I  realized that I needed to transform my life completely.  (Romans 12:2) I was violent and aggressive, and my whole life was built on lies. 

However, I learned from studying the Bible that Jehovah is merciful and forgiving. (Isaiah 1:18) I prayed intensely, begging Jehovah to help me break free from my former lifestyle. With his help, I was able gradually to make over my personality.  A key step came when my girlfriend and I legalized our marriage.

I was 24 years old and married with three children. Now I had to find a legitimate line of work.  Yet, I had little education and no references. Again, I fervently prayed to Jehovah.  Then I went to look for a job. I told potential employers that I had wanted to change my life4 and do an honest day's work. At times, I explained that I was studying the Bible and that my desire was to become a better citizen.  May potential employers refused to hire me.  Finally, after i openly disclosed my troubled past during yet another interview, the interviewer said:  "I don't really know why, but something tells me that I should hire you."  I believe that this was the answer to my prayers. In time, both my wife and I were baptized as Jehovah's Witnesses.  

Next time: THE BIBLE CHANGES LIVES -  HOW I HAVE BENEFITED

From the Watchtower magazine, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.