12.15.2015

Is Your Conscience a Reliable Guide?


MOTIVATED TO ZEALOUS WORKS

A good conscience does much more than warn us against wrongdoing.  It moves us to do good works. Foremost among these good works is our participation in the ministry from house to house and our taking advantage of opportunities to witness informally.  Paul's conscience moved him to do so.  He wrote: "Necessity is laid upon me.  Really, woe to me if I do not declare the good news!" (1 Corinthians 9:16) As we imitate him, our conscience speaks to us, assuring us that we are doing the right thing. And by preaching the good news, we appeal to the conscience of those to whom we speak.   Paul said:  "By making the truth manifest, we recommend ourselves to every human conscience in the sight of God." -2 Corinthians 4:2. 

When Jacqueline was 16 years old, she studied biology in school.  The theory of evolution was explained in some detail.  "My conscience  would not let  me share as fully in class discussions as I normally did.  I could not support the theory  of evolution.  I approached the teacher and explained my position. To my surprise, he was very friendly and offered me a chance to speak to the whole class on the subject of creation." Jacqueline felt deep inner satisfaction at having listened to and acted in line with her Bible-trained conscience.  Does you conscience similarly move you to do what is right? 

How fine it is when our goal is to bring our lives ever more into harmony with Jehovah's standards and ways! To that end, the conscience can be an invaluable tool. By regularly immersing ourselves  in God's Word, meditating on  what we find, and striving to put it into practice, we train our conscience.  It will thus prove to be a valuable asset in our Christian life! 

Next time: "Stand Firm int he Faith"

From the Watchtower magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.