11.30.2016

HELP FOR THE FAMILY/MARRIAGE -How to Show Respect


WHAT YOU CAN DO 

* Write down three things that you admire about your husband or wife. The admirable traits that you identify can be the foundation upon which to build respect.

* For one week, track your conduct (not that of your spouse) in the following areas.  

Your words.  One study of couples found that "spouses in happy, stable marriages made five positive remarks for  every one negative remark when they were discussing conflict. In contrast, couples headed for divorce offered less than one (0.8) positive remark for every every single negative remark." -Bible principle: Proverbs 12:18. 

Ask yourself: 'Do I speak respectfully to my mate? How often do I criticize compared with how often I give a compliment?  What is the tone of my voice when i have an observation or a complaint?' Would your spouse agree with your answers? -Bible principle: Colossians 3:13.

Try this:   Set a goal to give your husband or wife at least one compliment per day.  Suggestion: Look back at the admirable traits you identified earlier. Get into the habit of telling your mate what admire about him or her. -Bible principle: 1 Corinthians 8:1. 

Your actions.   A wife names Alicia says:  "I spend a lot of time doing housework, and when my husband  respects my efforts by picking up after himself or washing his own dishes, I feel that my efforts are worthwhile and that I am important to our marriage." 
   
Ask yourself;  'Does the way I treat my spouse clearly convey my respect? Do I give my spouse adequate time and attention?' Would your spouse agree with your answers?

Try this:  Write down three way that you would like to be shown respect. Have your mate do the same. Then exchange lists so that each of you can work on showing respect in the areas that were specified. Focus on your own need to show respect.  when one takes the lead, the other is likely to follow. 

Next time: Punctuality

From the Awake! magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.