11.19.2016

Young People Ask . .How Can I Preach to My Schoolmates?


"I was out preaching when suddenly I ran into someone I knew. I was paralyzed!  The person I was working with had to jump in and speak for me." -Alberto.

YOUNG people often feel it is not "cool" to discuss religion.  Among true Christians, however, young ones appreciate their God-given privilege of young Witnesses of Jehovah thus share in the door-to-door preaching work.  But some do so with the dread that they might encounter someone they know from school.  "I still get nervous meeting people I went to school with," says Jennifer, even though she graduated from high school (secondary school) some years ago.

If you are a young Christian, you may feel the same way sometimes. Of course, all of us fear rejection, so it's perfectly normal to feel a little anxiety when it comes to talking about religion with a schoolmate.  But there is no reason to let fear paralyze you. Do your remember the man whom the Bible calls "Joseph from Arimathea"?   He believed the things he learned from Jesus. Yet, the Bible describes Joseph as  "a disciple of Jesus but a secret one out of his fear of the Jews."  (John 19:38) Now how would you feel about a friend who wanted to keep your friendship a secret?  (Luke 12:8, 9) It's no surprise, then, that God expects all Christians  to  "public declaration" of their faith.  (Romans 10:10) That would include talking to young ones in your school.

Joseph of Arimathea overcame his fears, at least to the extent of seeking permission to bury Jesus' body. How can you overcome your fears? 

Next time: Young People Ask . . How Can I Preach to My Schoolmates?/Developing Eagerness to Preach

From the Awake! magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.