12.13.2012

REFLECT THE MENTAL ATTITUDE OF CHRIST - Conclusion of A Pattern for Proper Attitude




Conclusion of A Pattern for Proper Attitude

Jesus demonstrated a proper attitude in other ways.  He never expressed impatience with Jehovah but patiently waited for the outworking of His purposes.  (Psalm 110:1; Matthew 24:36; Acts 2:32-36; Hebrews 10:12, 13) Moreover, Jesus did not become impatient with his followers.  He told them: "Learn from me"; since he was "mild-tempered,"  his instruction was up building and refreshing.  And because he was "lowly in heart," he was  never bombastic or presumptuous.  (Matthew 11:29) Paul encourages us to imitate these aspects of Jesus' attitude when he says:  "Keep this mental attitude in you that was also in Christ Jesus, who, although he was existing in God's form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely that he should be equal to God.  No, but he emptied himself  and took a slave's form and came to be in the likeness of men." -Philippians 2:5-7. 

It is easy to say that we want to serve others and want to put their needs ahead of our own. But an honest examination of our mental attitude may reveal that our hearts are not completely inclined that way.  Why not?  First, because we have inherited selfish traits from Adam and Eve; second, because we live in a world that promotes selfishness.  (Ephesians 4:17, 18) To develop an unselfish attitude often means to cultivate a pattern of thought contrary to our inborn imperfect nature.  That takes determination and effort.

Our obvious imperfection, standing in sharp contrast with the perfect pattern that Jesus left us, may at times cause us to be discouraged.  We may doubt that having the same mental attitude that Jesus had is even possible.  But note Paul's encouraging words:  "I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, there dwells nothing good; for ability to wish is present with me, but ability to work out what is fine is not [present].  For that good that I wish do not do, but the bad that I do not wish is what I practice. I really delight in the law of God according to the man I am within, but I behold the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin's law that is in my members."  (Romans 7:18, 19, 22, 23) True, Paul's imperfection repeatedly hindered him from carrying out God's will as he desired, but his attitude -the way he thought and felt about Jehovah and His Law-was exemplary. Ours can be too.

Next time: REFLECT THE ATTITUDE OF CHRIST - Correcting Faulty Attitudes

The Watchtower, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.