12.26.2012

Why Do You Serve God? - Congregation Meetings Can Help



Congregation Meetings Can Help

In addition to meditating privately on Jehovah's goodness,we need to associate with fellow Christians.  It is encouraging to meet regularly with men, women and young people who love God and who are determined to serve him.  Their example can stimulate us to whole-souled activity in Jehovah's service.  Our presence at the Kingdom Hall can encourage them as well.

Admittedly, when we come home after a hard day's work or when we are discouraged because of some problems or weaknesses, it may not be easy to think about attending a meeting at the Kingdom Hall. At such times, we may have to be firm with ourselves, 'pummeling our body,' as it were, so that we will obey the command to gather with fellow Christians. -1 Corinthians 9:26, 27; Hebrews 10:23-25.

If that becomes necessary, should we conclude that we do not truly love Jehovah?  Not at all.  Mature Christians of the past  whose love for God was indisputable had to put forth vigorous effort to do God's will.  (Luke 13:24)   The apostle Paul was one such Christian.  He openly describes his feelings  in this way:  "I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, there dwells nothing good; for ability to work out what is fine is not present.  For the good that I wish I do not do, but the bad that I do not wish is what I practice."   (Romans 7:18, 19) And he told the Corinthians:  "If, now,  i am declaring the good news, it is not reason for me to boast, for necessity is laid upon me. . . .If I perform this willingly,I have a reward; but if I do it against my will, all the same I have a stewardship entrusted to me."  -1 Corinthians 9:16, 17.

Like many of us, Paul has sinful tendencies that go in the way of his desire to do what was right.  However, he put up a hard fight against those tendencies, and most of the time, he was successful.  Of course, Paul did not accomplish this in his own strength.  He wrote:  "For all things I have the strength by virtue of him who imparts power to me."  (Philippians 4:13)  Jehovah, the one who imparted power to Paul, will also empower you to do what is right if you ask him for his help.  (Philippians 4:6, 7)  So put up "a hard fight for the faith," and Jehovah will bless you. -Jude 3.

You do not have to wage this fight on your own. In congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses, mature Christian elders, who are persevering in the "fight for the faith" themselves, stand ready to help you.  If you approach an elder for help, he will endeavor to "speak consolingly" to you.  (1 Thessalonians 5:14) His goal will be to act "like a hiding place from the wind and a place of concealment from the rainstorm." -Isaiah 32:2.

"God is love," and he wants his servants to serve him out of love.  (1 John 4:8) If your love for God needs to be rekindled, take appropriate steps to do so, as outline above.  You will be glad that you did.

Next time:HELP OTHER WALK WORTHILY OF JEHOVAH

The Watchtower, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.