11.11.2014

Grateful for My Ministry


While we were in Swansea, South Wales, my partner, Don Rendell, was  not granted military exemption. He was put in prison despite explaining that he could not conscientiously go to war against fellow Christians in other lands.  (Isaiah 2:2-4; John 13:34, 35) To encourage him, as well as to give a witness to the neighbors, I placed the transcription machine nearby and played Bible lectures.

However, local women did  not like this and passed the hat and collected money to pay soldiers to beat up my companion and me.  We took off, running as fast as we could-I was also pushing the pram with the transcription machine-seeking the protection of the Kingdom Hall.  But when we got there, it was locked!   Only the timely intervention of the police saved us from a severe beating.

The incident evidently became well-known.  When I was preaching in the country near Swansea some time later, a man told me approvingly:  "Christianity is what you stand up for, like the young man in Swansea who boldly proclaimed what he believed and had to run for protection."  How surprised he was to learn that I was that young man!

Pioneering was not easy in those war years. We did not have much in th eay of worldly goods, but what we had, we appreciated and enjoyed.  We always received regular supplies  of spiritual food, and we never missed a meeting, except when we were sick. I purchased an old bicycle, an we had large baskets put on it to carry a phonograph as well as Bible literature.  Sometimes I traveled 50 miles a day on the bike! I pioneered for some seven years and fondly remember those days. 

In 1946, after World War II had ended,I was invited to work at Bethel, as the principal facilities of Jehovah's Witnesses are call in their respective countries. Our Bethel was then located at 34 Craven Terrace, next door to the London Tabernacle. I enjoyed association with older ones there, such as Alice Hart, whose father, Tom hart, is believed  to have been the first Witness in England.

Next time:Gaining a Faithful Companion

From the Watchtower magazine, 1997 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.