11.12.2014

Grateful for Our Life Together


Following our wedding, Etty and I were assigned to the traveling work in England, and for nearly five years, we visited congregations to strengthen them spiritually. Then I received an invitation to attend the 36th class of Gilead, held at the world headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses in Brooklyn New York.  The ten-month course, which was completed in November 1961, was particularly designed to train men to handles work in branch offices of Jehovah's Witnesses. While I was away, Ettty remained in England at London Bethel. Upon my graduation, we were assigned there together.

For the next 16 years, I worked at the service desk, handling matters pertaining to congregation activities.  Then in 1978, when the Bethel Home overseer, Pryce Hughes, died, I was appointed in his place. Being responsible for the well-being of the members of our growing Bethel family-we have over 260 in our family now-has been a rewarding assignment over these many years.

In 1971 my mother died at age 85. Etty and I returned to Gloucester for the funeral, where a brother nicely outlined the heavenly hope that Mother entertained.  (Philippians 3:14) I am grateful for the loving care that my sisters, Doris and Grace, provided for Mother in her old age, thus enabling Etty and me to continue in the full-time ministry. 

Etty and i often think of our parents and how they reared us in such a loving, firm way.  What an immeasurable debt we own them!  My Mother especially set a wonderful example for me and my sisters, building appreciation in us for Jehovah and his organization.

Indeed, our hearts overflow with gratitude as we contemplate each new day of service to our heavenly Father, Jehovah. What a wonderful, loving God he is!  The Bible psalmist wrote:  "I will exalt you, O my God the King, and I will bless your name to time indefinite, even forever. All day long I will bless you and I will praise your name to time indefinite, even forever." -Psalm 145:1, 2.

Next time: The Cleansing Power of God's Word

From the Watchtower magazine, 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.