11.12.2014

The Cleansing Power of God's Word


IT IS reported that most drug addicts return to their habits following release from rehabilitation centers.  But God's Word can accomplish what clinics usually fail to do.  (Hebrews 4:12) Many have been helped by God's Word and spirit to overcome drug addiction and apply the counsel: "Let us cleanse ourselves  of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in God's fear." -2 Corinthians 7:1. 

This is exemplified by an experience from Myanmar.  A man who struggled with drug addiction for many years relates:  "I became a drug addict while in my teens.  Many times I tried hard to break free, but I could not.  In order to support my drug habit, I turned to stealing. As a result, in 1988, I was sent to prison for one year.

"Following my release from prison, I resumed contact with former friends.  Soon thereafter I returned to the drug habit. This self-destructive course led family members to cut off all association with me. Additionally, my rebellious attitude caused many in the community to be afraid of me, and they too  began to  avoid me. 

"Then one day the inevitable happened-I suffered a drug overdose.  I was sent back to prison, this time for three years. Although life in prison was very harsh, somehow i managed to survive. "After returning home from prison, I asked my family for forgiveness for past mistakes.  they graciously accepted me back, but once again, friend induced me to return to  my former ways.  

Next time: Conclusion of: The Cleansing Power of God's Word

From the Watchtower magazine, 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.