6.21.2015

How to Age Gracefully


 BE MODEST: 

"Wisdom is with the modest ones." (Proverbs 11:2) In this context, "the modest ones" can refer to elderly ones who recognized and come to terms with  the  limitations of their age, not trying to deny or ignore them. Charles, 93, in Brazil, is realistic when he says:  "If you live long, you will have to age. There is no way to turn back the clock."  

Being modest, however, in no ways means adopting a defeatist attitude "I am old, and there is nothing more for me." Such an attitude can sap one of enthusiasm.  "If you become discouraged in the day of distress, your strength will be meager," says Proverbs 24:10. Instead, a modest person shows wisdom, making the best of a situation. 

Conrad, 77, in Italy, wisely says: "When you drive uphill, you just change gears and avoid stalling the engine." Yes, adjustments need to be made when someone grows older. Corrado and his wife have developed a balanced approach to domestic chores, following a moderately relaxed schedule to avoid feeling completely drained of  energy at the end of the day. Marian, 81, in Brazil, also has a down-to-earth approach to aging.  "I have learned to pace myself," she says. "I take short breaks between tasks when necessary. I sit down or lie down to listen to music. I have learned to recognize and respect my limits." 

BE BALANCED: 

"Women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind." (1 Timothy 2:9)   The expression "appropriate dress" denotes balance and good taste. Barbara, 74, in Canada, says: "I try to look neat and clean. I don't want to look dowdy with that 'I'm old; I don't care what I look like' attitude." Fern, 91, in Brazil, says:  "I buy some new clothes once in a while to boost my spirits." And what can be said about older men?  "I try my best to look smart, wearing clean fresh clothes, " says Antonio, 73 in Brazil.  Regarding personal hygiene, he adds: "I shower and shave daily."   On the other hand, it is important to avoid becoming concerned about your personal appearance to the point of failing to exercise" soundness of mind."  Bok-im, 69, in South Korea, has a balanced view about clothes. She says: "I am quite aware that  it is not appropriate  for me to wear some of the clothes that i wore when I was young." 

Next time: Continue with How to Age Gracefully -BE POSITIVE

From the Watchtower magazine, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.