4.14.2018

12 Secrets for Successful Families - FOR COUPLES-3.Respect



WHAT IT MEANS

Respectful spouses care about each other, even during a disagreement.  "These couples don't get gridlocked in their separate positions," says the book Ten Lessons to Transform Your Marriage.  "Instead, they keep talking with each other about conflicts and working things out. They listen respectfully to their spouses ' perspective and they find compromises that work for both sides.

BIBLE PRINCIPLE:  "Love . . . does not look for its own interests." -1 Corinthians 13:4, 5. 

"To  respect my wife means that I appreciate her value and I don't want to do anything that would damage her or our marriage." -Micah. 

WHY IT MATTERS 

Without respect, conversation between spouses can become laced with criticism, sarcasm, and even contempt-qualities that researchers say are early predictors of divorce. 

Making snide remarks , innuendos, or jokes about your wife will only crush her confidence, destroy her trust, and damage your marriage."-Brian.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

TEST  YOURSELF

Track your conversation and actions for a week.  Then ask yourself: 

* 'How often do I criticize my  spouse, and how often did I give her a compliment?'

* 'In what specific ways did I show respect for my spouse?' 

Next time: 12 Secrets for Successful Families - FOR COUPLES  Conclusion of 3. Respect

From the jw.org publications





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.