4.23.2021

A Lesson in Forgiveness

 Perceiving Simon's thinking,  Jesus says: "Simon, I have something to say to you." He replies: "Teacher, say it!"  Jesus continues: "Two men were debtors to a certain lender; the one was in debt for 5oo denarii, but the other for 50.  When they did not have anything to pay him back with, he freely forgave them both.  Therefore, which one of the will love him more?" Perhaaps with an air of indifference, Simon answers: "I suppose itis the one whom he forgave more." - LUKE 7:40-43. 


Jesus agrees.  Then looking at the woman, he says to Simon: "Do you see this woman? I entered you house; you gave me no water for my feet. But this woman wet my feet with her tears and wiped them off with her hair.  You gave me no kiss, but this woman, from the hour that I came in, did not stop tenderly kissing my feet.  You did not pour oil on my head, but this woman poured perfyned oil on my feet."  Jesus could see that this woman was giving evidence of the heartfelt  repentance for her immoral life. So he concludes: "I tell  you, her sins, many though they are, are forgiven, because she loved so much. But the one who is forgiven little, loves little." - LUKE 7:44-47. 


Jesus is not excusing immorality. Rather, he is manifesting compassionate understanding of people who commit serious sins, but who then show that they are sorry and turn to Christ for relief.  And what relief this woman feels when Jesus says: "Your sins are forgiven. . . Your faith has saved you go in peace." - LUKE 7:48, 50.


Next time: Woe to an Unresponive Generation


From the jw.org publications



 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.