6.28.2012

Conclusion of Keep a Positive Spirit




Of  course, Ella did not look forward to spending most of her young adulthood in a prison cell.  But since she could not change her situation, she decided to change her viewpoint. Accordingly, she began to view the prison as her own personal witnessing territory.  "There was  so much preaching to do," she says, "that the years passed very quickly."  After more than five years, Ella was interrogated again. Realizing that prison bars had not destroyed her faith, her interrogators told her:  "We can't release you; you have not changed."  But I have changed!" was Ella's firm reply. "I am in better spirits now than when I first went to prison, and my faith is much stronger than before!"  And she added:  "If you do not want to  release me, I will stay until Jehovah sees fit to deliver me."  Five and a half years of confinement had not robbed Ella of her joy!  She learned to be satisfied in whatever circumstances she found herself.  Can you learn something from her example? -Hebrews 13:5.

Do not conclude that Ella possesses some unusual gift that allows her to face such challenges.  Referring to the period of interrogation that she underwent in the months before she received her sentence, Ella admits:  "I remember  my teeth chattering, and I felt like a frightened sparrow."  (Proverbs 3:5-7) However, Ella has strong faith  in Jehovah.   She has learned to put her trust in  him.  As a result, God is more real to her than before. She explains: "Every time I entered the interrogation room, I felt peace come over me. . . .The more terrifying the situation, the deeper the peace became."  Jehovah was the source of that peace.  The apostle Paul explains:  "Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus." -Philippians 4:6, 7. 

Ella, who has since been released, maintained her joy despite hardship. She did this, not in her own strength, but in the strength that Jehovah had provided her.  The same was  true of the apostle Paul, who wrote:  "Most gladly, therefore, will I rather boast as respects my weaknesses, that in the power of the Christ may like a tent remain over me. . . .For when I am weak, then I am powerful." -2 Corinthians 12:9, 10.

The pressures you personally face  today may be somewhat different from those we have here considered. Still, whatever form they take, pressures are difficult to cope with. For example, your employer may be very critical of your work-far more so than of the work of employees who belong to other religious faiths. It may not be possible for you to look for other employment.  How might you  maintain your joy?  Recall Adolf and his companions, who prison experience  taught them to develop vital qualities. If you make  a sincere effort to satisfy your employer-even one who is "hard to please"-you will develop such Christian qualities as endurance and long-suffering.  (1 Peter 2:18) Furthermore, you may well become more valuable as an employee, which may increase your chances of obtaining more satisfying employment some day.  Let us now discuss some other ways in which we can maintain our joy in Jehovah's service. 

Next time: Simplifying Leads to Joy

The Watchtower, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.